Energy Assistance

Keeping the lights on and water running are things many of us take for granted, but for thousands of local families, utilities are a luxury they are unable to afford.

Impact NW works with families to make sure they are able to pay their bills during difficult financial times, while connecting them with resources that help them transition out of poverty and into self-sufficiency. We provide information and referrals in multiple languages and connect families with social services throughout the community, such as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits or Impact NW’s Housing & Rent Assistance.

Through Impact NW’s Energy Assistance program, nearly 6,000 households a year receive the help they need for electric, gas, oil, water and sewer utility bills.

Can we help you?

If you or someone you know is interested in Energy Assistance, call us at (503) 721-1740. Your conversation will be completely confidential, and if Impact NW isn’t the best fit for you, we’ll help connect you to the services you need.

Walk-In Energy Assistance

For customers of Pacific Power and Northwest Natural Gas, or oil and propane, walkin energy assistance is available at our Dancing Tree Family Center (10055 E Burnside St.) Monday – Thursday, 9:00 am until 4:00 pm (or until appointments are filled). Appointments are scheduled for the day on a first come, first served basis (walk-ins only, no call-ins accepted).

To get help, please make sure to bring:

  • ID’s for everyone in the household 18 years and older
  • Social Security cards for everyone that has one
  • Household income verification for the last 30 days (2018 Award Letter needed for proof of Social Security Benefits)
  • Current Pacific Power/NW Natural bill/OIL&PROPANE receipt if available (not required)

Options for Assistance:

Electricity (PGE or PPL), Oil, Propane, Wood, PelletsThe ONLY way to get assistance from Impact NW with any utility is to call the multilingual (English, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese) Energy Assistance line (503) 721-1740 and leave a voicemail when the line is open. There are no exceptions to this rule.

211 can refer you to other agencies in Multnomah County offering Energy Assistance if you do not make it through on our phone line.

Disconnected UtilityOur rules have changed; we are no longer able to give priority to those with disconnected utilities. Everyone must call the phone line when it is open.
(503) 721-1740
Natural Gas Bill (NW Natural)We have NW Natural Gas walk in days on Mondays from 9:00am until 3:00pm or until we reach capacity for the day at 10055 E Burnside St. Clients needing assistance with NW Natural can also call the line (503) 721-1740 when the line is open.
Water/Sewer BillIf you have City of Portland Water/Sewer you can apply for the discount program by contacting Madge Donahue at (503) 721-1740 or by walking in to the Dancing Tree office at 10055 E. Burnside St. Mondays through Thursdays from 9:00am until 6:00pm.